IRS tax filing deadline extended in response to COVID-19. » Learn More

Isn't Over Yet2019 Tax Season Isn't Over Yet

July 15 is your last chance to make a deposit into your Health Savings Account (HSA) for 2019.* And the more money you put into your HSA, the more you’ll potentially get back in your tax refund.


How To Make a Deposit

step 1

Log in and click “Pay Bill/Contribute” or “Make an HSA Transaction.”

step 2

Transfer funds from your personal bank account to your HSA.

step 3

Set “Tax Year” to 2019, specify your amount, and submit.

individual plan
family plan

An Extra $1,000
If you are 55 years of age or older, you can deposit an extra $1,000 into your HSA ($4,500 individual; $8,000 family).


*State tax filing and payment deadlines may vary. If your state’s tax filing deadline is earlier than the federal deadline, please check with your state agency or tax advisor for details on prior-year contributions. More information is available at

Deposits are subject to the 2019 IRS HSA contribution limits.

All prior-year contributions must indicate 2019 as the contribution year. If you do not indicate 2019, the contribution will apply to the 2020 tax year. All prior-year contributions must be received by the following dates and times:

•  Online contributions: July 15, 2020 (Must be submitted by 11 a.m. CT)

•  Wire contributions: July 15, 2020 (Must be received by 4 p.m. CT, and clearly indicate contribution is being made for the 2019 tax year.)

•  Mailed contributions: Must be postmarked on or before July 15, 2020. Any contributions received after this date will be applied to the 2020 tax year or returned to the contributor. (Contributions must clearly indicate that they are being made for the 2019 tax year and include a full Social Security number or account number in the memo portion of the check.)

HSAs may be subject to state taxes. For more information, consult your state tax department of revenue. If tax or legal advice is needed, please contact a qualified professional. HSA Bank does not provide tax or legal advice.